Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Golfers/Weekend Warriors.....as Manly as they come!

First off, this blog is really targeted towards the men of golf and not the women. I am sure women are just as hardcore, I just have never seen them this same way.

So in my opinion weekend warrior golfers (WWG's) are as hardcore a sportsman as any other, possibly the most hardcore. After my round this last weekend I was convinced that WWG's must have something in their DNA that allow them to withstand any sort of weather and intake any sort of substance no matter the time of day.

So I got to the course at about 7:15am and with daylight savings time the night before, let me assure you it was just pass dawn. I assumed I would be one of the first few at the course and have no problem getting out as a single, especially since the temperature inside the car read 36 degrees, which by my standards is too cold. I thought it would be in the mid 40's but hey I was up, so screw it. As I pulled in though, to my surprise there were about 8 guys on the putting green warming up, two of the guys were in shorts, unreal! So I parked and looked to my right and saw two guys stretching like they were getting ready for an Olympic swim. I also stretch a little at home to help the back, so maybe they have really bad backs and I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but they looked too young to be stretching like that. Anyways, I was able to get out with a couple of guys named Steve and Al. Both were very nice guys but Al was my favorite, wearing his blue jeans, torn hoody, camo ball cap and cussing like a sailor. They were both in their mid-50's and Al made it a point to tell me his yearly salary and how he manages storage units without me asking. I was also caught by surprise when on about the 3rd hole Al and I hit our shots pretty close together and while we were waiting to hit, I looked to my left and Al was watering the tree literally 5 feet from me, it was pretty tough to not laugh out loud. Steve was also smoking a fat cigar and drinking a beer by 8:30, which maybe just helped him warm up a little.

We made the turn at about 10a.m. and Steve and Al had to stop for burgers and chips, which was no problem I just couldn't afford anything. As I was waiting though, I saw a table outside with two guys smoking fat cigars and had a pitcher of beer between the two of them. All I thought to myself was "man thats awesome".

All in all it was a good day (even though my score didn't reflect it) but it really made me think
about WWG's and their sheer dedication for the game of golf. I can't think of other sports that average joe's go out and play and express their masculinity as much as they do on weekends at your local muni-course. It also reminds me that golf is great because so many guys are out there for the same reason, no matter what they are wearing, drinking, or smoking. We all love to just get out there in any type of weather and hit good and bad shots and then talk about what we did wrong after the round is over, while drinking a cold brewsky. To me it doesn't get much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment