Friday, April 2, 2010

AK = Yes.....DJ = No

So, we are about a quarter of the way through the golf season now and I have been kind of disappointed with our winners. Now if I was about 40 years old I might be stoked because we have had guys like Els, Furyk, and Stricker winning this year. Now I must admit, a part of me does feel good for Furyk and Els who have not had a win in awhile and have found their game, but a bigger part of me is dying for some of the "young guns" to start tearing up the tour.

Now by saying "young guns", unfortunately I don't mean guys like Zach Johnson, Dustin Johnson, Bill Haas, and Ben Crane because I feel like watching them is like watching paint dry. I mean guys like Anthony Kim, Camilo Villegas, Adam Scott, Sergio Garcia, Rory McIlroy, and Rickie Fowler(although the last two are fresh out the gate so we will give them more time). It just seems like the players I have listed are huge fans of doing really well and even winning, like Camilo earlier this year and then dropping off the radar for almost the rest of the year. I am just dying for someone to really compete almost every time they tee it up and it would be even better if they could give Tiger a run for his money.

I know Jack in his prime dominated the game, but it seemed like he had more exciting players competing really well against him and either coming in second or barely beating him. Jack has 19.....yes 19, second place finishes in majors, Tiger I believe only has 5. Tiger will pass Jack in Majors but come nowhere close to his runner-up finishes, unless someone starts to really challenge Tiger at every major.

This isn't about just majors though, I think golf really needs some of these younger studs to step up and show that the game right now is slowly shifting towards a newer generation of golfers. Although the only way to prove that is to consistently show up in every tourney, especially majors, which I have faith that they will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment