Monday, April 12, 2010

You The Man Phil!

Wow, what a great Sunday at the Masters. Not even Sunday, almost the entire weekend was action packed and the fans could not have asked for a better person to win.

Now going into the Masters, Phil was not on my list of people who I wanted to win, only because I think he is too flaky for all the talent he has. Although when he is in contention, especially in a major, I find myself having a soft spot for the guy and really pulling for him to win. We all know all the struggles he and his family have been through with his wife Amy having cancer, so that makes him winning that much more special. It was also great to see his wife make the trip there to greet him after he finished on the 18th.

It would have been very interesting to see what would have happened if he put that 2nd shot on the par 5, 13th into the creek. In all honesty, when I saw him about to smack his 6-iron, 207 yards out of the pine needles, between two trees, to a green that you can't be short or long on, I thought, "well here goes Phil about to screw things up again". He proved me wrong and I'm ok with that. The man produced zero bogies and shot a 67 on Sunday, the first champ in 12 years to shoot that low of a final round. Good work Phil!




Now Tiger did a little better then expected but really showed his rust on Sunday. I laughed during his post interview because he said people are making too big a deal out of him losing his temper. Well maybe in his press conference he shouldn't have made it sound like he was going to try to control his temper and celebrations. Those are two of his biggest trade-marks so of course the media is going to be all over that when you lose your temper right off the bat on Thursday. You should have just said you are going to work on the swearing and club throwing, that would have made more sense.

Good showing for my boy AK! Keep it up!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good weekend. Both nice courses. I learned how to play golf at Coal Creek (learning being a relative term) one summer when I worked there on the maintenance crew. I've hit more than a few balls on to US 36 from that tee box on the 16th!!!

    ReplyDelete