Thursday, April 22, 2010

Trip to Colorado

Well since there really isn't too much going on in the golf world right now(even though Lorena Ochoa retired....weird), I figured I would write about my golf during our visit to Colorado.

Broadlands
My first round was played at Broadlands golf course up north in Broomfield. I met my longtime friend Dan who works for the course, at about 7:15am. He got us out for free, which was very nice, plus we were the first two out, so it was wide open in front of us. I was super nervous about the round after hitting a duck-hook off the first tee, then toeing my second shot about 40 yards short and right of the green. Somehow I was able to get it up and down for par so that was a big confidence booster. The rest of the round was all over the place, hitting really bad shots and really good shots. I was able to pull out an 87, which I was pretty happy about. The weather was pretty cool but there was no wind and no rain so I couldn't ask for much more. Also, playing with Dan who is roughly 74 years old was great. Hopefully I will still be swinging the club as well as him when I'm that age.

Coal Creek
The second round was played at Coal Creek Golf Course, also up north in Louisville. This is one of my favorite courses and I was super excited cause I was playing with my dad, father-in-law(Bernie) and brother-in-law(Jeryd "I think I hit it long"Arellano). The weather again was cool, but there was no wind and no rain, so it was bearable. This was a rematch of teams consisting of my dad and I vs. Bernie and Jeryd. Last time we squeaked a victory out playing at Heritage Todd Creek Golf Course. The first few holes were a little rough for most of us but after a little while we all began to find our groove. I went even par on the last 5 holes on the front so that really helped. Thanks to my dad for giving me the line to help me sink a 20 footer for birdie on #9. Jeryd decided it was time to numb his nerves by indulging in the land of Kahlua on the back nine. Boy did it help, he ended up really turning things around and shot a 45 on the back. My dad, Bernie and Jeryd had almost identical scores and luckily I was able to squeeze out another 87. So for the second year we were able to claim victory! :) It was great to get to spend time with everyone and even though it rained on the last 5 holes, I thought the weather was pretty nice.

I'm looking forward to our next round together.

2 comments:

  1. I posted this comment down below accidently..... whoops.

    Sounds like a good weekend. Both nice courses. I learned how to play golf at Coal Creek (learning being a relative term) one summer when I worked there on the maintenance crew. I've hit more than a few balls on to US 36 from that tee box on the 16th!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The maintenance crew does a great job out there! Its probably my #2 course in CO, right behind Fossil Trace.

    ReplyDelete